Pub Heaven at the Duke of York
We spent a day in North Devon and had a pub lunch in the Duke of York Pub in the little village of Iddesleigh.
I was in pub heaven! The Duke of York is a 15th century pub that is the local for British author Michael Morpurgo, who got the seed of the idea to write the novel “War Horse” (which later became the blockbuster play and film) while in this very pub. More about this here!
It was homey and cozy and a little hobbit-like and included all of the things that I look for in a good pub:
1. Fireplace with a roaring fire going.
2. Real ale.
3. Dartboard and darts.
4. Wood beams and brick work.
5. Handwritten menu on chalkboards.
8. It serves traditional British food including steak and kidney pie and fish and chips.
9. Lots of old pictures on the walls.
10. A noise level that is quiet enough to hold a conversation, but not too quiet (see number 7).